Monday, June 21, 2010

C&N (Chris and Nikkos)

Remember when you were a kid and you would see a police officer or a fireman and think to yourself, "That's what I want to be when I grow up? "  Well, I had one of those moments (not exactly like that) a couple of weeks ago.  I was sitting in the Spartanburg Regional ICU with Jody's wife (Erika) when in walks Chris, Jonna, and their  4 y/o son Nikkos.  I haven't known them a long time maybe 4 years or so and even then it's only been here and there.  I would say that I know them well enough to be able to hold a conversation with them without feeling awkward(they might though...lol).  We all talked for what couldn't have been longer than 30 minutes or so and I started to notice that Nikkos was becoming restless.  Children usually don't like to sit and be still for long periods of time and I could tell that his timer was about to go off.  What happened next was both refreshing and, for me, very touching.  Chris instantly picked up on the fact that his son was getting uneasy and without so much as a thought, he began to play with him.  At one point he was holding him in his arms like a baby and tickling him and the laughter and the sight of the two of them playing and bonding just warmed my heart.  A few minutes passed and I noticed the laughter had disappeared and instead had been replaced with a conversation.  Chris was actually having a conversation with Nikkos about something on TV (Sponge Bob I think) and about Jody's condition.  It amazed me that at his young age that he was having, by all accounts, a very adult conversation with his father.  I thought it was extremely mature and fatherly the way Chris dealt with his son and by doing so it allowed Jonna to continue to talk to Erika.

I've seen parents in general pay no attention to their children and let them run rampant in all sorts of places.  Too often parents don't know how to be parents and instead turn into horrible children with children.  I hope that when I do have children that I'm fortunate enough to be as good with them as Chris is with his son.  He doesn't talk to Nikkos he actually talks with Nikkos.  There is a difference and it is profound.  Again, this experience just made a great impression on my life.

Want to see why we were at the hospital?  Check HERE

2 comments:

  1. This is a prime example of why you'll make a great Daddy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll make a great father one day Chris!

    ReplyDelete