Wednesday, September 21, 2011

DVD's no more...


Lately there's been a lot of buzz surrounding Netflix and their recent choices about pricing and dividing the company based on content delivery method.  Some consumers have come out in complete anger and hatred against Netflix for these choices and among others.  While others have taken the news with little regard or embraced it as the motivation they needed to finally drop their DVD by-mail subscriptions. For me, it was was the straw that broke the camel's back.  

I have been very unhappy for a long time with Netflix's streaming library, if you can call it that.  I have enjoyed some of the "lesser known" titles they have and a good portion of their documentaries.  I haven't complained either simply b/c it was "free", so to speak with my DVD subscription plan that included 3 DVD's at a time.  I've never felt like I really had a right to complain about my choices because it essentially free with my current plan.  Now that the streaming is going to be a separate charge and DVD's are basically being treated as the red-headed stepchild, I'm definitely going to be canceling my DVD subscription and maybe my streaming too.  

I really feel like this move by Netflix was very close to the same thing that Apple did with the lack of Flash support on their IOS devices.  Apple forced it's customers to choose (in the beginning at least) between their products and others that supported Flash.  Likewise, Netflix is keeping the well known name for it's streaming services while they gave the DVD rental company an easily forgettable name that gives the feeling of a fly-by night company.  No longer will I be able to flip back and forth between my two queues. I will have to go between two different web sites, with two different user-names and passwords. Essentially I feel they set the DVD rental business up to fail over time.  

Links: 
http://goo.gl/gnpWb (Engadget Coverage)
http://goo.gl/O4Ye3 (Netflix Email)

No comments:

Post a Comment