Thursday, April 5, 2012

Why Follow a Shadow

Most people close to me know that I lost my Father more than a few years ago and that it has been less than easy to deal with.  I've done pretty well with it, in my opinion, but there are those days when things just come out of nowhere and hit me like a ton of bricks or I can't seem to shake some urge or feeling that I'm having.  It appears that today is going to be one of those days for me.

On this current project that I'm working on, there are times when I have to hurry up and do something just to sit and wait for the process to complete.  This morning was like this.  So I pulled up a couple of my career/job search sites and I saw a familiar company name at the top of the list, Parker.
Parker Hannifin is a rather large company that is based in the United States but has operations around the world.  This was the company my Father worked at for over 20 years.  He started on the "bottom floor" and worked his way all the way up to a supervisor over a large portion of the plant.  He poured himself into this company during his career with them.  I can remember going in with him on some Saturdays so that he could do some work while most of the employees were off.  I got to watch him start some of the large curing ovens and I remember being amazed at how large they were.  Some of them were the size of two care garages.  I remember him riding me around the large plant on a fork lift.  It probably wasn't the safest thing to do but he never put me in any danger and I loved ridding around and seeing the plant.  Those were the days.
I say all that to that today, not unlike many times before, thought about applying for a position out at my father's old plant.  I've been told numerous times that all I had to do was call but I never have.  I guess part of it is that I'm happy where I am, doing what I'm doing.  I'm sure part of it is that I'm comfortable where I am and I don't want to have to change my ways or my routine.  But I also would like to think that I don't really want to follow in his shadow.  That would mean that I had a HUGE reputation to live up to and I would hate to let him down.  I think there's something to be said about choosing your own path.  One that isn't laid out for you.  One without preconceived expectations or reputations to live up to.  I just hope that I make the right choices in life.  I hope that I make the right choices and never bring dishonor or disrespect to my name.  I do my best and that's all that I can do.  


No comments:

Post a Comment