Friday, August 17, 2012

Why I Carry

Most of my friends know that I am a self proclaimed "gun nut" and that I also am a proud Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) holder.  Not all of my friends are as understanding of my choice to not only have the permit but to also carry firearm on my person (where legally allowed).  They aren't the type that go off the deep end and claim that all people that carry are the reason for mass shootings or even that people that choose to carry are misguided or misinformed.  They are more inquisitive about the reasons I feel the need to carry and why I feel it makes me safer.  Usually I can sum it up in just one joke, "I would carry a Police Officer, However, they get heavy and eat at lot in restaurants."  I guess a couple seconds pause because some people will get the joke and some will just look back at you waiting on the punchline not realizing that it's already came and passed them by.

Carrying a firearm for protection is NOT a decision I make lightly.  It really comes down to a mental outlook on life.  Are you going to rely on someone else (be it a Police Officer or another civilian) for your and your families protection? OR Are you willing to take someones life who is presenting imminent danger to your life or the life of your loved ones?  If you simply can not imagine yourself taking the life of another person even if it meant the death of you or your loved ones...then the answer is very clear, DO NOT CARRY.   However, if you are willing to take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your family then carrying a concealed weapon (legally) might be something for you to think about.

I hope that I am never put in a position where I have to draw and use my weapon to defend my life or my loved ones life; However, if it's either "his" life or mine or my family's life......he better have great healthcare because he's about to get a horrible case of lead poisoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment